Would you like to:
- Develop your knowledge and skills in providing care to your patients with a progressive, life limiting illness?
- Receive support from the Specialist Palliative Care Services?
Participate in free palliative care CPD events designed specifically for GPs?
General Practitioners in metropolitan Adelaide are invited to register to participate in the GP Palliative Shared Care Program being administered by GP partners Australia for SA Health.
General Practitioners participating in program will be provided with:
- A system and framework for providing ‘shared care’ with Specialist Palliative Care Services, for patients with a progressive, life limiting illness
- RACGP accredited Orientation Seminar (40 points, category 1) and ongoing palliative care CPD events that are free and deliver education that is GP specific
- Evidence based tools and printed resources
- A Patient Held Record for your patients
- Peer support
Links with Specialist Palliative Care Services, SA Ambulance and other relevant service providers
If you practice in the metropolitan Adelaide area and would like to participate in the GP Palliative Shared Care Program, please complete the Registration Form.
GP Palliative Shared Care Orientation Seminars will be offered regularly by GP partners Australia. The details of upcoming Orientation Seminars are available on our Events page.
For further information, please contact Ms Chrissy Menzies, GP Palliative Shared Care Lead on phone 1300 303 409 or email email@example.com
GP Palliative Shared Care Patient Held Record
The GP Palliative Shared Care Patient Held Record consists of a bright purple vinyl wallet (for easy recognition) that can be used to store important information for patients receiving GP Palliative Shared Care, including:
- Contact List – a list of ‘who to call’ for assistance at any time
- Copy of any ACD and 7 Step Pathway (if completed)
- Copy of the Care Plan
- Printed up-to-date Medication List
The Patient Held Record assists in having this information readily available to all clinicians caring for a patient. It provides the patient and/or carer with a central place to keep essential information, and key documents associated with his or her care. The record is recognised across settings, alerting new care providers that the patient is in the GP Palliative Shared Care Program and of their care plan.
The Patient Held Record is provided by the GP to each patient receiving GP Palliative Shared Care.
Copies of the GP Palliative Shared Care Patient Held Record are available from GP partners Australia by emailing Gemma Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning the GP Palliative Shared Care Information Line on 1300 303 409.
Metropolitan Adelaide Specialist Palliative Care Service (SPCS) Areas
For the purposes of the GP Palliative Shared Care program, metropolitan Adelaide refers to the areas covered by the Southern Adelaide Palliative Services, Central Adelaide Palliative Care Service and Northern Adelaide Palliative Service. The boundaries of these Services align with the SA Health Local Health Network boundaries.
A list of the postcodes that fall within the boundary for each of the Services may be accessed here.
A map of the service areas for the Specialist Palliative Care Services (Local Health Network boundaries) is available here.
Individual service area maps:
Palliative Care CPD Activities
GP partners Australia provide regular CPD events for participating GPs to further develop their skills and knowledge in caring for people with a life limiting illness. The details of RACGP accredited palliative care CPD activities delivered by GP partners Australia are available on the Upcoming Events page at www.gppaustralia.org.au/events or by phoning the GP Palliative Shared Care Information Line on 1300 303 409.
Additional CPD activities offered by other education providers that may be of interest to participating GPs include:
- PEPA (Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach) – placements and palliative approach workshops available. Visit www.pepaeducation.com or phone Palliative Care SA on (08) 8271 1643.
- DecisionAssist – education for GPs including workshops, online modules, clinical audit. Visit www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/tabid/3206/Default.aspx.
- Palliative Care Online Training – Free online education modules. Visit www.palliativecareonline.com.au
- Centre for Palliative Care – Online learning module Palliative Care: Getting Started. Visit www.centreforpallcare.org.
Case Conference Record and Care Plan Template
A Case Conference Record and Care Plan Template is available for GPs participating in the GP Palliative Shared Care Program.
Part 1 of the form is designed as a step by step guide to assist GPs in the preparation, conduct and recording of a Multidisciplinary Case Conference as part of the GP Palliative Shared Care Program.
After the Multidisciplinary Case Conference has taken place, the later part of the form (Part 2) may also be used to complete a GP Management Plan (GPMP) with Team Care Arrangements (TCA).
The Form can be downloaded below:
Please note: This is version 1 of the Form and we would welcome GP feedback. If you have any comments or suggested improvements, please email email@example.com