Deprescribing – the process of identifying and discontinuing potentially inappropriate drugs to improve patient outcomes – can lead to improved health and well-being, especially in the elderly.
Primary Health Tasmania has partnered with Consultant Pharmacy Services (CPS) to research commonly prescribed drugs and to produce a suite of evidence based guides for deprescribing.
They were complemented by specific fact sheets to guide health professionals when considering polypharmacy in older people.
The resources can be found here.
The topics covered include:
- Deprescribing General Information
- Deprescribing Vitamin D & Calcium
- Deprescribing Sulphonylureas
- Deprescribing Statins
- Deprescribing Proton Pump Inhibitors
- Deprescribing Opioids
- Deprescribing NSAIDS
- Deprescribing Glaucoma Eye Drops
- Deprescribing Cholinesterase Inhibitors
- Deprescribing Bisphosphonates
- Deprescribing Benzodiazepines
- Deprescribing Antipsychotics
- Deprescribing Antiplatelet Agents
- Deprescribing Antihypertensive Agents
- Deprescribing Allopurinol
- Rethinking Your Medications consumer card
- Rethinking Your Medications consumer brochure
- Deprescribing Quick Reference Guide
We would like to thank and acknowledge Primary Health Tasmania for the information they produced for deprescribing and also for agreeing to make these available to our 1600+ GPs members.